WATER BASED TREATMENT
EFFECTIVE AGAINST ALL VARIETIES OF MOSS, LICHEN & ALGAE
EASY TO USE
APPROVED UNDER C.O.P.R 1986 BY H.S.E.
Mosses, lichen and algae have now become a major maintenance headache throughout the UK for Local Authorities, Housing Associations, industry and commerce.
On certain older buildings in the country areas these growths have been welcomed, in fact, are actively encouraged because of their pleasing effect.
However, in cities and on modern buildings, mosses, lichen and algae have the opposite effect. Their appearance on brickwork, concrete, asbestos, stonework and masonry finishes is regarded as most unacceptable.
Mosses, lichen and algae disfigure facing bricks and are a contributory factor to spalling of brickwork and concrete. In addition they cause erosion of the mortar joints. Like all plant life, they hold and attract moisture, storing it within the brickwork or surface on which they are growing, giving rise to problems of water penetration. The fabric is further degraded by the excretion of acid.
These external growths destroy decorative coatings and if left untreated will rapidly ruin subsequent coatings. They will also dramatically reduce the life expectancy of waterproofing compounds.
Surface treatment by washes are ineffectual against such tenacious problems, since they only remove the visible surface growth, leaving behind the roots within the fabric. These roots will regerminate and grow within a matter of months.
LICHENITE was developed following large-scale trials under widely varying conditions in many different parts of the country. Local Authorities and Housing Associations have treated thousands of dwellings, with the result that whereas growths returned within six months, treatment with LICHENITE has kept buildings completely free from mosses, lichen and algae for years.
LICHENITE is a clear, colourless solution containing unique biocides dissolved in an aqueous medium. It is a free flowing liquid at all normal temperatures with a very faint odour. It has unlimited shelf life if stored under normal conditions. Protect from frost and store in a dry location. It is non-flammable. Wash brushes, spray equipment etc., used for application in plenty of water.
LICHENITE is cleared for use as a masonry biocide. HSE No. 3936.
AREAS OF USE
- Moss, lichen and algae growth on brickwork, stonework, concrete – these growths aggravate the problems of water penetration which lead to frost attack and spalling. Treat with LICHENITE and protect with one coat of HALOSEAL. For parapet walls, garden walls, coping stones and soldier courses, apply two coats of HALOSEAL
- Moss and lichen growth on tiles and asbestos roofs – LICHENITE to be used to kill growths followed by one coat of HALOSEAL as protection against regrowth.
- Algae on render – LICHENITE to be used to kill existing growths prior to re-rendering, redecoration or cladding. Use BIOCHECK S.P. for redecoration on houses prone to algae attack.
- Algae and moss growths on paths, walkways, drying areas and forecourts, case slippery surfaces which can be a danger to tenants, particularly the elderly. Treat with LICHENITE, remove dead growths and apply a second coat.
- Woodwork – use LICHENITE to treat growths. Clean down and prepare surfaces and protect with BIOCHECK WATER BASED GLOSS.
- Moss on flat roofs, porches and corrugated asbestos – will eventually cause breakdown of roofing materials. Treat growths with LICHENITE then apply ROOFCOAT FR10 for repair and protection of roof.